Thursday, February 4, 2010

Darker Humor or Just Sad Abbey

I went to the store tonight to get some fancy foods because my EBT (food stamps) card came in the mail. I shopped thoughtfully for a good 30 minutes bringing $36 worth of groceries to the counter. A line formed behind me. "Look at the delicious cheese she's purchasing!" a middle aged woman explained to her two young children. I smiled "yep, just treating myself to some fine dairy." Two people formed in line behind her, all with eyes on my culinary choices. "Cash or Credit Mam?" the clerk respectfully asked, I was dressed so well... how was he to know. "EBT- actually" I said. "EEEEEEEEEEEEEW!" the two children screamed as their mother sheltered them behind her. To make matters worse, it was "Denied." once, twice, thrice...

The janitors came out jabbing me out of the store with their broom handles. A van drove through a puddle and soaked my humbled body, laying on the ground. Then I was raped by my father and had two children by him, the first one retarded, second one, black. My mom threw pans at my head and before I ever had a boyfriend, I contracted HIV from my father.

Maybe my life doesn't seem so bad because I am white, but I feel black sometimes and I want to say ridiculously loud things on the bus like "SUHMTHIN SMELLS FUUUHNNY!" From there a small Mexican man would shed a little tear, he is smelly and knows it, but he works so hard. Instead, I'm just me, recording things on the bus and looking crazy in a very discreet, Caucasian way.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers